Love at first bite. This crowd-pleasing recipe starts with homemade pizza crust and is finished with a
Photo credit: Eater
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust 1
- 1/2 cup (127g) pizza sauce, or more
1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (75g) cooked ham or Canadian bacon, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup (82g) pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Make the dough:
- Mix and knead together all of the dough ingredients, by hand, mixer, or bread machine, till you've
soft, smooth dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 hour. Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours;
heighten the crust's flavor.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and divide it in half.
- Lightly grease two 12" to 14" round pizza pans; or a couple of baking sheets; or a couple of pieces
parchment (if you're going to bake on a stone.
- Shape each piece of dough into a 10" to 14" disk (thick crust vs. thin crust), and place in the
- Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, till the crust is as puffy as
- While the crust is rising, prepare the filling. And, towards the end of the rising time, preheat the
- Lightly grease a frying pan or skillet, and sauté the pineapple till lightly browned.
- Remove the pineapple, and sauté the ham. While this step isn't strictly necessary, it intensifies the
and helps keep the pizza from getting soggy from pineapple juice.
Prepare the pizza:
- Bake the pizza crusts, without toppings, for about 12 minutes, till they're set but not browned.
- Remove from the oven, and spread with tomato sauce. Layer with the pineapple and ham, then sprinkle
- Return pizza to the oven, and bake for an additional 12 to 16 minutes, till the crusts are brown and
is melted and barely beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a rack.
- Slice and serve ASAP.